the Albion Beatnik bookstore cafe

After having had come to the place a few times, at rather odd times for a cafe to be open, I admit, and finding it closed, I finally got in on a lovely English summer day, one of those with just the right balance of warmth and cold, I am positive you can only experience these in this country, and it is one of the reasons why I have fallen in love with it.
But back to the Albion. The Beatnik's Albion. Hm.
No one was inside. No one really seemed to care. I suppose that would be the best way to characterise this place. No one cares. No one is trying to sell you anything. No one is contemplating ways of getting you out when you stay for too long to make space for another customer. No menus on the tables. No price lists. No 'Can I help you?', or 'Anything else?'.

I browse through the bookshelves for a while, picking up some Fitzgerald, putting it back remembering that I will already hate myself when I try to drag my suitcase back home. (Giving it another thought now, what difference does one book make? I might come back for that book.)

'Can I have some coffee please?', I ask when I spot someone coming in from a back room.
'Weak or strong? It makes no difference.'

I thought I can't have come up with a better explanation of what the place is like than those two sentences I got as an answer.



the Albion Beatnik bookstore
34 Walton St, Oxford
(I will not bother to write any opening hours, because the ones I had found on the internet betrayed me in the past. I would say it is general opening hours, and the place is worth trying your luck.)

8 comments:

  1. This place looks and sounds like heaven. Next time I come to Oxford I'm going to hunt it down and hope to God it's open. You paint such a lovely verbal picture of the place :)
    Betti xx
    www.torchthetreasure.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I inspired you to do so, it's definitely worth trying your luck (and if it's not open, there are a few cafes around, there's G&D's in a street that's crossing this one really close to AB cafe, so you can always go there, they're open like forever :D)

      Delete
  2. Skvostné! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zajímavý článek. Kdyby někdy byla příležitost, ráda bych se tan podívala. :)

    ... budou i další články s různými místy v Oxfordu, která se ti líbí, nebo nějaké všeobecné články o tom jaké to tam je? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tenhle je zatím poslední a v sobotu ráno odjíždím a vracím se až za rok a půl, ale pokusím se ještě do té doby něco nafotit na další články. ;3

      Delete
  4. heh, mam dojem, ze si Te z Albionu pamatuju, ale na Cesku bych Te netipovala :) Ja jsem ta, co tam vyrabi papirove kytky :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vazne? (Jsou skvele.) Treba se tam nekdy potkame... ;3

      Delete

leave a note.