Autumn nostalgia (Kyōto)

While I crawl my way through Japanese winter, anticipating the spring and dreading the summer, I thought I would take a look back at my trip to Kyōto last autumn. There is a culture of coloured-leaves-viewing (called momiji or kōyō) in Japan, which I find amazing, as for me autumn is the most beautiful of all seasons. And except for the massive (I'm talking Japanese scale massive) crowds, the combination of leaves tinted in warm colours and the old temples and shrines in Kyōto is just marvellous.

F U S H I M I   I N A R I   T A I S H A   伏見稲荷大社

S A N J Ū S A N G E N D Ō  三十三間堂
Rather than the exterior, the reason why you must visit this place if you're in Kyōto, is a hall containing 1001 human-sized statues of Kannon, the goddess of mercy, which each have a slightly different pose and face, and of other Buddhist figures with crystal eyes that seem to be staring right into your soul. It wasn't allowed to take pictures inside, but I'm pretty sure photos cannot translate the feeling of that place anyway. The atmosphere is just incredible, it's one of the most impressive things I've seen in Japan. 

. . .


. . .


K I Y O M I Z U D E R A   清水寺

G I O N   祇園

2 comments:

  1. Aww it is so freaking beautiful! Gion gave me Memoirs of Geisha feels :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually saw a Geisha walking down the street in Gion, she was so beautiful it was surreal.

      Delete

leave a note.