Urban

It's quite amazing how ever since I've started being interested in architecture, and since I came to Japan, where I have so many urban landscapes, concrete buildings, and wall patterns to admire, it has been creeping into my style. I have come to be fascinated more by volumes, shapes, and materials, rather than colours or prints. And my wardrobe is now mostly consisting of hues of grey, black, and white, with occasional addition of mint, lilac, or red. I still wear prints, but I tend to go for the simpler ones, and actually the tights' print looks a bit like shattered glass, and the eyes would make good street art.
I think architecture and fashion are very closely related. Rei Kawakubo's designs are a great example of that. (Like the Comme des Garçons skirt I am wearing here.) I recently went to see an exhibition called 'Future Beauty' in Kyoto, which introduces various distinctive features of Japanese designers (Although Yohji Yamamoto would probably hate me for calling him a 'Japanese' designer, and I by no means want to bind them all to one country.), and there are a lot of Kawakubo's and Yamamoto's designs on display. I had by breath taken away by looking at the textures and construction of their pieces, I love their 1980s black and white work especially. (If you're in Kyoto, this exhibition is definitely a must-see. It's on until 11th May in the Kyoto Museum of Contemporary Art.)


SKIRT - COMME DES GARÇONS | SUSPENDER TOP - ZOOL | EYE PRINT SNAPBACK - KENZO X NEW ERA | GEOMETRIC PRINT TIGHTS - C/O TRENDYLEGS | HEELS - TOPSHOP | CARDIGAN - MONKI | RING - MONKI


14 comments:

  1. Love this, those tights are amazing. I am the same with colours, I tend to work just one colour into every outfit and am starting to get more into mixing textures. But I am trying to bring more colour into my wardrobe too, still only dark colour <3

    The Quirky Queer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I used to wear colourful stuff a lot (and colourful stuff only pretty much), but it's just not my thing anymore. People change I guess.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It was a lucky find. (It's vintage.)

      Delete
  3. Tohle je prostě úchvatné. Obdivuji každý detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, great outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love this look. Your observations about the style + architecture are very interesting. What you're looking for in architecture like space, volume etc applies to clothes in a similar way considering form, texture etc rather than color and graphics. I think it makes for an interesting fashion sense

    http://outfitbynight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! I'm glad my architecture rant has been appreciated by someone. Obviously some colour and graphics come with it, but it's not the main focus, like you said.

      Delete

leave a note.