yoshitomo nara: greetings from a place in my heart.

2014 was a year I travelled to two countries I had always wanted to travel to - South Korea and Japan. It was a year when I met new people, collected new experiences, and became a new person.
2014 was also a year I finally got to see exhibitions of two of my favourite artists - Kusama Yayoi in Seoul, and Nara Yoshitomo in London.
Whilst deleting photos from my old camera, I found these that I'd taken at Nara's exhibition at the Dairy Art Centre, and even though it has unfortunately already ended, I still want to share them. Nara strikes me as someone very down-to-earth, working while shut in his atelier, chainsmoking and listening to loud rock music. The characters he creates go beyond being 'kawaii' and childlike. There is a sense of humour, a sense of rebellion, and there is something that touches you when you look them in the eyes. They are the kids your parents wouldn't want you to play with, yet they seem to be deep down inside every one of us.

I thought this would be the perfect festive or year-closing or whatever-you-may-call-it post. The big eyes that stare into your soul are more sparkling and magical than shopping mall Christmas decorations, and becoming more like Nara's lot wouldn't be a bad New Year's resolution at all.

Nara Yoshitomo
Dairy Art Centre
Nara Yoshitomo
Nara Yoshitomo
Nara Yoshitomo
Nara Yoshitomo
Nara Yoshitomo
Nara Yoshitomo

4 comments:

  1. Your blog is amazing and so is your life. I remember you from the high school we went to (although I bet and kind of hope you don´t remember me) and I have to apologize for all the moments when I looked at you and considered you strange. I did not realize that you were actually yourself, original and strong enough to show it. Have a nice holidays and a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have changed quite a bit since high school, who knows whether my present self would have liked myself back then. I have no idea who you are, but no offence taken, high school might have been a dark spot in my life, but it taught me a lot. I'm not sure whether 'amazing' and 'strong' aren't a bit of an overstatement, but thanks anyway. HNY (too late for holidays now) to you too.

      Delete

leave a note.