GUILT-FREE BASICS

I am back in the whirlwind of term, so most of my communication with the world is limited to Instagram, which also happened to be the main stage of the Fashion Revolution Day. I asked T by Alexander Wang and Monki the question #whomademyclothes and only got a reply from the latter - reassuring me that all their suppliers have to comply with the Monki Values, which include workers' rights and environmental sustainability.
However, as much as I appreciate Monki's efforts, how do you as a consumer differentiate between an actual product made in fair and environmentally friendly conditions and a mere marketing strategy relying on the fact that it is still nearly impossible to trace a garment's origin throughout the entire manufacturing process?

Fashion Revolution is trying to change the game and through participating its crowd-funding campaign many moons ago, I got my hands on two basic men's T-shirts made in an environmentally conscious and 100% traceable way by a brand called Rapanui. (There is a cute little map on their website which shows each step of the manufacturing process.)
I got a men's S and it has exactly the right kind of loose fit, plus the material is insanely comfortable.

Disclaimer: I was not paid nor in other way encouraged to write this post.

IMG_1860 copy
MEN'S BASIC COTTON T-SHIRT IN BLACK AND WHITE - RAPANUI

IMG_1847 copy
IMG_1861 copy

2 comments:

  1. You're so right - I think most brands have little knowledge about their own supply chain and do not care about it as long as it is cheap, or they care enough to be able to put a statement in their CSR page.
    I think it's really cool that small brands and startups are changing the game, I can't wait to get some shoes from Habi, which is a small fair trade and sustainable Filipino brand run by my boyfriend's friend and with which I've worked in my packaging logistics course, and I've been discovering more and more similar projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is, though, that it's really difficult for small brands like that to get enough exposure. However, as idealistic as that might be, I think considering the increased publicity about the dark side of the clothing industry's supply chain, things are slowly starting to move.
      I didn't know about Habi, I'll check them out. Please let me know if you have any other recommendations

      Delete

leave a note.